Central Administration Unavailable

Central Administration Unavailable

I was working on a client’s environment this week when all of a sudden the Central Admin and Shared Service Provider sites stopped working. Requesting any URL from these sites returned a “Service Unavailable” message. The main content Web site kept responding though.

When I checked IIS I noticed that the Application Pools for these Web apps were stopping as soon as I put through a page request. I’d restart them and they would stop again straight away.

IISReset didn’t do anything for me. Two Event Log errors entries being written each time the app pool was shut down. Details are below.
Event Type: Warning
Event Source: W3SVC
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1009
Date: 9/10/2007
Time: 12:33:13 PM
User: N/A
Computer: SHAREPOINT1
Description:
A process serving application pool ‘SharePoint Central Administration v3’ terminated unexpectedly. The process id was ‘11380’. The process exit code was ‘0x80’.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
==============================================

Event Type: Error
Event Source: W3SVC
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1002
Date: 9/10/2007
Time: 12:33:13 PM
User: N/A
Computer: SHAREPOINT1
Description:
Application pool ‘SharePoint Central Administration v3’ is being automatically disabled due to a series of failures in the process(es) serving that application pool.

Eventually I discovered that the password had been changed on one of the Service Accounts. In this case the account that managed the Application Pool and the account that managed the Timer service. So I simply went into IIS and reset the password. I also went into the Services and reset the password. Voila, my Central Admin site was back up and running. But there turned out to be many other issues that were introduced when the password changed. All of the sudden my event log was jammed with errors.

eventviewer.jpg

I started troubleshooting the issues one by one.

“Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {3D42CCB1-4665-4620-92A3-478F47389230} failed due to the following error: 8007042d. ”

The issue was caused by lack of permission on one of the service accounts. To see the real error, run the Event Viewer. Click on Run and then type Eventvwr. This particular error fell under the System log. The error was described as:

DCOM got error “The service did not start due to a logon failure. ” attempting to start the service OSearch with arguments “” in order to run the server:

The fix was to start Component Services (Under Administration Tools). Under DCOM config, you will find the OSearch component. First find out what the credentials are by using the Identity tab. If the Service is using a system account, you can either elevate the system account or supply a user with significant rights.

Quick troubleshooting tips:
1. Verify the username and password in the Central Administration App Pool (right click->Properties->Identity[tab])
2. Verify that any services that are running relating to IIS or WSS/MOSS are using valid usernames and passwords.
3. Verify that any services running for SQL Server are using the right username and password.
4. Verify that the account in question has the proper access to the sharepoint databases.

The moral of the story is changing service account passwords wreaks havoc on your SharePoint environment. If you are going to change passwords, there is really only one way to do it. See my previous blog.

No comments